This ministry started as a dream. God placed a burden on the hearts of several people in Pocahontas and He brought us together without us knowing what He was up to. The burden He placed turned into compassion, the compassion turned into a purpose. The purpose he placed in us has brought us to this point. As I look back at the last three years I am so thankful we didn’t ignore the burden God put on us.
Yes, honestly it seemed too hard. Why should we move forward with this idea? Can we move forward with this? We are all super busy. We all have other things occupying our time and our lives. But, the burden didn’t go away and we couldn’t ignore it. Honestly we didn’t want to ignore it.
The burden God placed on us was for children. Children who are struggling through no fault of their own. Children who are desperate for a loving and safe home, but yet sometimes still want to be with the parents who have not been there for them. Children who are growing up jaded and bitter because this life isn’t fair, it’s too hard.
We discovered after much praying, much soul searching, much researching that our purpose would be to provide a home for boys. Boys in the foster care system whose parents let them down. Boys who are getting moved around from home to home, school to school, never connecting with friends, never succeeding in school, never willing to take a chance and try sports, music, or anything where they might connect and thrive.
Our purpose is to give them a chance, give them hope. This hope is coming through a home, through house parents who will love them and teach them, but mostly the hope is coming through the love of Jesus. We are going to teach them and show them that God loves them and has a great and wonderful plan for them. And because of God’s love, our group formed Bridge of Hope and dared to take a chance. We dared to believe that we could make a difference.
From the early stages of planning, we decided that we did not want to have debt. We would build this home and provide everything through fundraisers, grants, and from public giving. We are happy to announce that we have stayed true to that decision and Bridge of Hope Ministries is completely debt free.
Before we even formed our 501(c)(3), God provided. Our good friends, Kevin and Amy Sorg, sent us a check for $800! I opened that letter and couldn’t believe it. Honestly I cried. I knew that God had called us and I knew that He would provide, but seeing that check made it real. It was our first donation, someone else believed in the calling God had given us. This was going to happen. Bridge of Hope would one day open and we were going to help boys!
We purchased five acres of land right outside of Pocahontas’ city limits. We have built a very nice, 3200 square foot home that we are so proud of. And we did all of this by fundraising and with private donors, and by some very generous people donating their labor and products. Our house is in the final stages of being complete. We are so close. We have already had DHS call because two brothers really need a place to stay. How heartbreaking that we had to say, “Sorry, we aren’t ready!”
Currently we have monthly donors that give faithfully every month to Bridge of Hope. Once the house is open and the boys have moved in, we will have expenses just like every other home. Based on our budget, we have enough monthly donations to cover 40% of our expenses. We are asking for your help for the other 60%. Can you come on board with Bridge of Hope and help make a difference in the lives of foster children? Can you give monthly and help provide a stable and loving home for these boys?
We are asking for a $30 monthly donation. Maybe you can give more or maybe you can give less. We will appreciate and be thankful for any amount. We just ask that you prayerfully consider giving to Bridge of Hope Ministries. We know that God is going to provide for this ministry, because we have seen His provision through the whole process so far. We are close to ending this construction phase and look forward to the next phase where we open our doors. Boys will move in and they will start the next phase of their lives!
Help us make a difference….sign up to be a monthly donor!
*Donations can be mailed to Bridge of Hope - PO Box 821- Pocahontas, AR, 72455.
Online donations can be made through Paypal here on our website.
Have your account drafted (form from Riverbank on the Donate Tab of our website)
Thank you for your support.